Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Lost in Sapce #1 - March 26th, 2014

[caption id="attachment_2598" align="aligncenter" width="630"](Hubble Looking into the Heart of the Milky Way) (Hubble Looking into the Heart of the Milky Way)[/caption]

(Hubble Looking into the Heart of the Milky Way)


         Welcome back MY Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. Today, and with this article, I am launching a brand-new series of articles for The Other Shoe. As you can see from the title of this article the name of this all-new series is ‘Lost in Space’. Yes, I lifted the name from a TV series I very much enjoyed as a boy. However, every month I find more and more articles, about space, that just do not fit into ‘The Mars Report’. Therefore, from this day forward every article about space exploration, space flight, experimentations and space flight, the potential commercial colonization of Mars, and/or any other article I find about space will be found here every week in ‘Lost in Space’.

.

Now, as I mentioned in a recent article I published here, it is unlikely yours truly will ever slipped the surly bonds of earth. You just don’t know, My Dear Readers, how much that thoroughly sucks. Life goes on. Just because I will not be able to embrace my personal dreams of leaving Earth’s orbit. That does not mean I cannot help bring the wonders of space to you, My Dear Readers.

.

You see, My Dear Readers, last week while I was celebrating the 400th article published here at The Other Shoe and the four year anniversary I wrote that I would do anything to improve this blog. That I was going to read double my efforts to make The Other Shoe a better place for all of you. A better place for all of you to come for; entertainment, information, political editorial, creative writing, news from space and even of horror story or two. I don’t know if I’m doing this in spite of or because of my declining health.

.

Each passing day I can tell that I am able to do less. Each week I feel more pain, and ‘new’ pains. Meaning, I feel pain doing things in my day to day life, where it wasn’t painful a week… or month ago. They say ‘pain is a great motivator’ and I guess my actions here are proof of the truth in those words. Regardless of my pain, I am pushing myself to; write more, think more about different articles, challenge myself to write in fields I have not, and publish more often. This is my goal, and so far I am able to meet that goal.

.

Last week, in seven days, I wrote and published twelve articles. Yesterday, I wrote and published two articles in one day. I have planned, to repeat that performance today.

.

So, for as long as I am physically able you, My Dear Readers, will garner the fruit of my redoubled labors. It was in that spirit that this ‘new’ series ‘Lost in Space’ was born, today. I would not be the least bit surprised if you bear witness to more ‘births’ of new and different content, over the coming weeks and months. Just as a little FYI I was just tossing around the idea of a ‘new’ series of articles named “The World Around Us’. This series will be a catch-all for all things space oriented, and ‘The World Around Us’ would be a catch-all for all things ‘earth sciences. What do you think?

.

For our very first image, in this the premier edition of ‘Lost in Space’, I take you to The Boomerang Nebula[1]. The Boomerang nebula is located 5000 light years from our home here on earth. It is located in the Constellation Centaurus and is also known as ‘The Bow-Tie Nebula’. This nebula has a very unique characteristic. The temperature in the nebula is 1 K (−272.15 °C; −457.87 °F), making it the coolest natural place in the known universe.

.

[caption id="attachment_2599" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Ghostly Specter Haunts the ‘Coldest Place in the Universe’ Ghostly Specter Haunts the ‘Coldest Place in the Universe’[/caption]

(Ghostly Specter Haunts the ‘Coldest Place in the Universe’)


.

My Dear Readers, I thought that the striking beauty of The Boomerang Nebula, combi9ned with it the title of coolest place in the known universe made this the prefect candidate for ‘First Image’ for ‘Lost in Space’. I wanted to start this series off with a bit of a bang, and since I could not find any available images of ‘The Big Bang’ I figured this would do nicely. Above you will see my first reference (#1) right after the name ‘The Boomerang Nebula’, if you follow that link it will take you to a page with lots of information on this nebula. My Dear Readers, I will endeavor to make sure that each of the articles in this series will have lots of links for you to follow for more information. I would like to encourage your curiosity, and make it easy for you to ‘read more about it’. J

.

Our next image, My Dear Readers, is a starscape taken by the Hubble telescope (FYI all of today’s images are from the Hubble Space Telescope) looking into Terzan 7[2]. Believed to have originated in the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy[3], Terzan 7 is a young globular cluster. Terzan 7 sets itself apart from other young globular clusters, in that it posses a very rich population of blue stragglers[4] concentrated near the center. I was just impressed with the clarity of the image and the overall brilliance.

.

[caption id="attachment_2601" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Hubble Looks into Terzan 7 Hubble Looks into Terzan 7[/caption]

Hubble Looks into Terzan 7)


.

Well, I have a pretty good feeling about how this new series is started out so far. Unlike many of my other articles, My Dear Readers, I am not going to leave the best for last. Therefore, if you are a big fan of supernovas then our next image will certainly rank your favorite. Captured while happening in the M82 Galaxy[5], also known as the Messier 82 Galaxy a ‘starburst’ galaxy, is a supernova! The death of several certain types of stars, this is one of nature’s Galactic Firework displays. In this image, the supernova can be seen in the picture-in-picture in the lower right hand corner of the image. ENJOY!

.

[caption id="attachment_2602" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Hubble Monitors Supernova In Nearby Galaxy M82 Hubble Monitors Supernova In Nearby Galaxy M82[/caption]

(Hubble Monitors Supernova In Nearby Galaxy M82)


.

Out of the six images today, from the Hubble space telescope, the next image is by far my favorite. The earth is located in one of the arms of our spiral galaxy, far out from the center of our Milky Way galaxy. The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy, a common formation from our current observations. Our Milky Way galaxy is a very calm spiral galaxy. However, not all spiral arm galaxies are quite so sedate. In our next image we see two spiral galaxies (NGC 4038 and NGC 4039) locked in a deadly embrace. For the past few hundred million years these two, normally sedate spiral galaxies, have been sparing with one another. The gravitational actions have literally torn suns out of their host galaxies. Thus creating the a streaming arc between the two galaxies. Currently in a state of starburst the two are now forming an Antenna Galaxy. The nature of starburst cannot continue, and will result in either the two separating from each other or form one very large elliptical galaxy. I think the image is just striking, as is imagining the immense gravitational forces locked in this deadly dance.

.

[caption id="attachment_2603" align="aligncenter" width="630"]NASA Hubble Sees Sparring Antennae Galaxies NASA Hubble Sees Sparring Antennae Galaxies[/caption]

(NASA Hubble Sees Sparring Antennae Galaxies)


.

Our last image, for this the premier edition of ‘Lost in Space’, is of the actual birth of a star! Forming in the Chameleon cloud[6] the Hubble has captured this striking image. We can clearly see the gases as they stream from the poles of the forming star. Creating a most ethereal object this sun will be known as HH 909A. The streaming gases have illuminated this entire region of space. As if to say, to any onlookers, ‘Hey, look at ME I am being BORN!’. It is images like this one, and really all of those I have shared here today, that have given birth to my fascination with space.

.

[caption id="attachment_2600" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Hubble Looks in on a Nursery for Unruly Young Stars Hubble Looks in on a Nursery for Unruly Young Stars[/caption]

(Hubble Looks in on a Nursery for Unruly Young Stars)


.

You see, My Dear Readers, I believe that earth is like mankind’s cradle… or crib. It is where we were laid, once born of star stuff. Our crib is where were have cut our teeth in science… and through war. It is where we were/are confined until such time that we, as a nation and/or a species, set our priorities on getting out of our crib. As with a human child, it is my belief that mankind was not meant to spend the entirety of our existence… in our crib!

.

Just as, over time, mankind threw off the notion that the earth was flat and that if you sailed long enough… you would fall off the earth. Mankind must throw-off the notion that we are earth-bound. IMHO In order for mankind to avoid, eventual, extinction we must leave this earth. I believe that the real future of mankind is as a space-faring species. The sooner that we make; life in space, the exploration of other galaxies, and the colonization of other planets a reality. The sooner we will; decrease the incident of war, increase the opportunities for financial and educational equality for all, end hunger, and continue mankind’s stalled evolution.

.

MY Dear Readers, I hope that you have enjoyed this, FIRST, edition of ‘Lost in Space’. I hope that I have given you images as eye-candy, and a little science as mind-candy. I look forward to bringing you the next edition of “Lost in Space’, and the one after that, and the one after that, and so on and so on. Thank you for taking the time out of your lives to spend here, with me, looking to the stars!

.

As always I am deeply honored that you come here and read my work.

.

Thank YOU!

.

[caption id="false" align="aligncenter" width="234"]The Other Shoe eBay Store The Other Shoe eBay Store[/caption]

 

 









3 comments:

  1. […] Lost in Space #1 – March 26th, 2014: “Welcome back MY Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. Today, and with this article, I am launching a brand-new series of articles for The Other Shoe. As you can see from the title of this article the name of this all-new series is ‘Lost in Space’. Yes, I lifted the name from a TV series I very much enjoyed as a boy. However, every month I find more and more articles, about space, that just do not fit into ‘The Mars Report’. Therefore, from this day forward every article about space exploration, space flight, experimentations and space flight, the potential commercial colonization of Mars, and/or any other article I find about space will be found here every week in ‘Lost in Space’.” Very well received, this article was, by you, My Dear Readers. I just had so much more material, from space, that I was dying to share. Create an all new article series, just for you (and the material I had laying about). It went over well, and was not that hard to complete. Therefore, there is a good chance it will be back, in weeks to come. I just love looking at images from space. Time, I seem to make, in every week to see something new. I look forward to sharing even more, in the weeks and months to come. I look forward to seeing you, My Dear Readers, here too! […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] Lost in Space #1 – March 26th, 2014 : “Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. Today, and with this article, I am launching a brand-new series of articles for The Other Shoe. As you can see from the title of this article the name of this all-new series is ‘Lost in Space’. Yes, I lifted the name from a TV series I very much enjoyed as a boy. However, every month I find more and more articles, about space, that just do not fit into ‘The Mars Report’. Therefore, from this day forward every article about space exploration, space flight, experimentations and space flight, the potential commercial colonization of Mars, and/or any other article I find about space will be found here every week in ‘Lost in Space’.” And, with that, the single most popular article series (to date) was born! Little did I know with within a few short months that this article series would leap to the top of my traffic reports, and find its way into the hearts and minds of so many adoring readers. Today, every week when I look at the traffic reports I find ‘Lost In Space’ either #1 or in the top THREE articles! My Dear Readers, if you have not been around for the past couple of weeks, the last two editions of this revered article series have each been ‘Gargantuan’ issues! Both issues with a dozen, or more, images and twelve to twenty pages in length! I am very happy to place this at the top of my ‘500th Article Review and Celebration’ this July 4th weekend! […]

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] Lost in Space #1 – March 26th, 2014 : “Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. Today, and with this article, I am launching a brand-new series of articles for The Other Shoe. As you can see from the title of this article the name of this all-new series is ‘Lost in Space’. Yes, I lifted the name from a TV series I very much enjoyed as a boy. However, every month I find more and more articles, about space, that just do not fit into ‘The Mars Report’. Therefore, from this day forward every article about space exploration, space flight, experimentations and space flight, the potential commercial colonization of Mars, and/or any other article I find about space will be found here every week in ‘Lost in Space’.” And, with that, the single most popular article series (to date) was born! Little did I know with within a few short months that this article series would leap to the top of my traffic reports, and find its way into the hearts and minds of so many adoring readers. Today, every week when I look at the traffic reports I find ‘Lost In Space’ either #1 or in the top THREE articles! My Dear Readers, if you have not been around for the past couple of weeks, the last two editions of this revered article series have each been ‘Gargantuan’ issues! Both issues with a dozen, or more, images and twelve to twenty pages in length! I am very happy to place this at the top of my ‘500th Article Review and Celebration’ this July 4th weekend! […]

    ReplyDelete