Saturday, March 22, 2014

FOUR YEARS here at The Other Shoe!

.




[caption id="attachment_2516" align="aligncenter" width="332"]Daneil Hanning of The Other Shoe 2001 Daneil Hanning of The Other Shoe 2001[/caption]

           


.

             Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. Today is a very special occasion for today we mark the Four Year Anniversary here at The Other Shoe. It was on March 22nd, 2010 that I wrote and published my very first article here at The Other Shoe. It wasn’t a very long article, barely two paragraphs. However, many great things came from such small beginnings.

.

To you, My Dear Readers, I must extend a deep and heartfelt apology. I had planned, and even mentioned, much more of a celebration for this anniversary and the publication of my 400th article here at The Other Shoe. Unfortunately, this anniversary has coincided with the culmination of a legal matter for my roommate and caregiver Allen Gay.

.

Yesterday, beginning at 9:30AM (meaning I was up preparing at 6AM, getting into the Para transport at 7:30 AM, reviewing evidence at 8:30AM and the hearing began at 9:30AM. It was not over until nearly 12:30PM. That three hours, after a week of preparation and getting up and into my power chair at the crack of dawn… has taken a huge toll on me physically. The ‘Good News’ is, Mr. Gay won and that is a huge windfall for him. Now, that does not mean that Mr. Gay will getting any money. It merely means he is not ‘On the Hook’ for over $15,000.00.

.

Thanks to my decent preparation, my limited abilities in the legal world, the complete and total lack of preparation on the part of the other party… and a bit of luck. I am greatly relived at the outcome of this hearing. Now, there could be more appeals. However, the opposing party made such fools of themselves (and their employer) I have serious doubts that the other side will appeal. 

.

Never-the-less, this has taken a huge toll on my body, and left me gripped in severe pain and discomfort. (you know, I always wondered about that statement “pain and discomfort”… If your pain is anything like the pain I experience daily… in my neck, arms and hands…why the heck would you even mention “discomfort”? Terrible pain racks my body daily… does it cause discomfort, too? Hell yes, but why bother talking about ‘discomfort’ when your body is racked with terrible shooting pain, and bone on bone grinding pain… and terrible pain from pressure on nerve roots… WHY?)

.

FOUR YEARS! Oui, am I proud? YES! An emphatic YES! Do I wish I was of the strength and spirit to regale you all with reviews of my work over the past FOUR YEARS? YES! I am just so tired.. in so much pain… and in such great need to rest my head and body. Therefore, My Dear Readers, I apologize for not being able to engage with you all in a celebration of this great accomplishment.

.

Later… hopefully on Sunday, I will come back. I want to discuss the invasion of the Crimea by Russia! This is a terrible affair, and shows a level of ‘land grab’ and disregard for NATO, the United Nations, and well… common decency that the world has not seen since just prior to the Second World War. I make that comparison with great respect… and hesitancy. However, I feel that it is apt and that we are witness to a growing threat in Europe by President Putin.

.

In closing, “Thank you!” to everyone that has made the last four years the great success The Other Shoehas become. I look forward to the next four years, and the four after that… and so on and so on. This blog, and you My Dear Readers… give my life cause.

.

Thank you!

.

[caption id="attachment_2296" align="aligncenter" width="630"]The Other Shoe's Daniel Hanning The Other Shoe's Daniel Hanning 2/2014[/caption]

 

1 comment: