Monday, April 28, 2014

The Mars Report - April 28th, 2014

               Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. Today is Monday April 28th 2014, and this is ‘The Mars Report’. Today I will share a duo of unique finds, from the NASA/JPL web site. Our first find is a series of five images from the Martian rover Curiosity’s ‘Right NavCam’ (Navigation Camera). Today at 4:50AM the right navcam captured a meteor falling in the distance. Now, a few eccentric bloggers are (of course) spinning this as so ‘ET’ moment. The evidence is that Curiosity’s diligence was repaid with the capture of a falling celestial body, a meteor. The next five images, below, are the images showing the falling meteor.

.




[caption id="attachment_2811" align="aligncenter" width="192"]Meteor 1 Meteor 1[/caption]


.





[caption id="attachment_2812" align="aligncenter" width="192"]Meteor 2 Meteor 2[/caption]


.





[caption id="attachment_2813" align="aligncenter" width="192"]Meteor 3 Meteor 3[/caption]


.





[caption id="attachment_2814" align="aligncenter" width="192"]Meteor 4 Meteor 4[/caption]


.




[caption id="attachment_2815" align="aligncenter" width="192"]Meteor 5 Meteor 5[/caption]

.

Well, that was fun. Wasn’t it? I am not convinced that this is ‘an alien dropping to the Martian surface’, and it will take a lot more evidence to convince me of that dubious finding. Moving on, the next image I have for your consideration is a graphic. This graphic shows the purposed pathway to Martian landing by American explorers in the year 2030. The pathway below is are goals outlined in the bipartisan NASA Authorization Act of 2010 and in the U.S. National Space Policy. So, if I manage to live to 73, then I will have lived to see mankind land on the Soon, and Mars! Here’s to me living to 2030!

.

[caption id="attachment_2809" align="aligncenter" width="630"]The projected pathway to Man on Mars by 2030 The projected pathway to Man on Mars by 2030[/caption]

(The projected pathway to Man on Mars by 2030)


.

Now, My Dear Readers, we come to our final image for today’s edition of ‘The Mars Report’. My Dear Readers, my health is worsening, and it is this fact which determines how much and how often I write and publish. I am no fool, I can clearly see that my traffic is lower than it has been for months. This adds to my depression, but there is little I can do to change this fact. Oh, I can push myself to publish more and more, longer and longer, and end up in a world of pain and suffering. I am pretty sure that nobody wants that outcome.

.

The image, below, is the very first image from Curiosity since its arrival at the 'Windjana'target location. This is a sandstone rock, and the very first of this type Curiosity has encountered since landing. Now, My Dear Readers, I go to the NASA/JPL ‘Mars Science Laboratory’ web site, daily, looking for new and interesting or entertaining images. Today the site was bereft of such, and I have worked to provide you with some content to digest .

.

Just as soon as Curiosity completes the scientific experiments, I will be sharing (with you My Dear Readers) the science and the images created. I will keep checking back, during the week, and if there is anything new I will post an updated edition of ‘The Mars Report’. Until then, I hope you enjoy the following image of Curiosity’s arrival at 'Windjana'!

.

[caption id="attachment_2806" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Curiosity Mars Rover Beside Sandstone Target 'Windjana' Curiosity Mars Rover Beside Sandstone Target 'Windjana'[/caption]

(Curiosity Mars Rover Beside Sandstone Target 'Windjana')


.

Well, I have managed to scrounge up some more images for you to enjoy. Each and every day Curiosity transmits, what are called, RAW Images. From these images NASA/JPL refines the ones they deem worthy of media use, or scientific use. Otherwise, they are stored on the web site. Today I have put together some of these RAW images for you to enjoy.

.

Unlike other images I share, there are really no descriptions or science to share, regarding the images. Therefore, I will give you an explanation of where the images were taken, and by which camera. Beyond that, if there is anything I can find to share, I will! Our first RAW image shows a bit of the rover Curiosity and the Martian horizon in the background. Honestly, I look at all of these RAW images, each week, and I really enjoy all the views of the horizon and the Martian surface. I imagine I am on Mars, and looking at the surface and the horizon. It takes me away, for a few moments, from the world of pain and doubt I live in. Here is the first of the three RAW images I have to share.

.

[caption id="attachment_2808" align="aligncenter" width="630"]HandCam Second Image April 24th HandCam Second Image April 24th[/caption]

(HandCam Second Image April 24th)


.

The next RAW image I have to share is of one of the smaller wheels to Curiosity and the bottom of the MASTCAM. There is none of the horizon, in this image, but you can see a good bit of the rover.

.

[caption id="attachment_2807" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Hand Cam Image April 24th 2014 Hand Cam Image April 24th 2014[/caption]

(Hand Cam Image April 24th 2014)


.

Our final image of the day is another of the Martian horizon as seen by Curiosity. I really like this image. Matter of fact I took this image and adjusted the tilt, cleaned it up a bit and now it serves as my desktop for my computer. I really like Mars, if you couldn’t tell by now. This image was taken on April 24th, 2014 near the ‘Windjana’ sandstone rock, shown above. I could just sit and stare at this image, and several others like it, for hours on end. Hoenstly, it takes me away… to another place… peaceful and quiet… calm.

.

[caption id="attachment_2810" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Martian Horizon Curiosity 4-24-14 Martian Horizon Curiosity 4-24-14[/caption]

(Martian Horizon Curiosity 4-24-14)


.

And, with that, My Dear Readers, we come to the end of yet another edition of ‘The Mars Report’ here at ‘The Other Shoe’. I do hope that you have enjoyed the images I have shared. I do so look forward to your visits... your ‘Likes’ and ‘Shares’. Like I said, earlier, if there is anymore news or science discovered over the week, I will publish another edition of ‘The Mars Report’. Again, thanks for dropping by and have a great week!

.

Thank YOU!

.

Adieu!

.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="234"]The Other Shoe eBay Store The Other Shoe eBay Store[/caption]

www.ebay.com/usr/enzomatrixlt


.




[caption id="attachment_2296" align="aligncenter" width="630"]The Other Shoe's Daniel Hanning The Other Shoe's Daniel Hanning 2/2014[/caption]

1 comment:

  1. […] The Mars Report – April 28th 2014 : “Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. Today is Monday April 28th 2014, and this is ‘The Mars Report’. Today I will share a duo of unique finds, from the NASA/JPL web site. Our first find is a series of five images from the Martian rover Curiosity’s ‘Right NavCam’ (Navigation Camera). Today at 4:50AM the right navcam captured a meteor falling in the distance. Now, a few eccentric bloggers are (of course) spinning this as so ‘ET’ moment. The evidence is that Curiosity’s diligence was repaid with the capture of a falling celestial body, a meteor. The next four images, below, are the images showing the falling meteor.” This edition is just chock-full with the hard science that you can come to expect from this series and my blog. In this edition I share several images where Curiosity captured a meteor falling to the Martian surface. This is the reason that I just love to share these adventures in space. My Dear Readers, I really hope that you all make the time to enjoy and revel in these moments. Aside from special moments with familty and friends… at least for me… these are the stuff great memories are made from! […]

    ReplyDelete