Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Mars Report - January 30, 2014



[caption id="attachment_2258" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Billion Pixel View From Curiosity at Rocknest Billion Pixel View From Curiosity at Rocknest[/caption]


('Billion Pixel View' From Curiosity at Rocknest)

.

Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. Today I am ushering in the return of one of Today I am ushering in the return of one of my favorite series of articles; The Mars Report. I remember when I announced, right here at The Other Shoe, that the rover Curiosity had successfully landed on the surface of Mars. That was more than 500 days ago, and now I bring you the most up-to-date news from Curiosity and Mars.

.

When I last updated you, My Dear Readers, on the progress of Curiosity’s travels on the Martian surface, it was back in June of last year. I presented a 3-D version of The Mars Report and explained what kind of glasses you could use to ‘see’ these images in their 3-D splendor. I have not lost interest in the Mars Curiosity mission. I just found it painfully difficult to keep up with all the different regular series I had promised. Quite simply? I had ‘Bitten off More Than I Could Chew’. .

Now, My Dear Readers, I simply must put aside my concerns of pain and discomfort and trudge forward. The success of this blog is directly tied to my ability to keep a roof over my head, and food on my table. Sorry about that trip down reality lane. I have always pushed myself brutally hard, but now simply must produce, produce, produce.

.

This issue of The Mars Report will be followed by ‘350th Article at The Other Shoe - Part Five’. Part five will be a retrospect of the this series of articles. That’s right; I am going to publish a review of the top five articles of this series, The Mars Report. This weekend I am hoping to have finished, and publish, the final episode of my 350th celebration. Wrapping up the series and the celebration by the end of January.

.

Now that we have all the housekeeping out of the way, let us get started with the meat of this article and return to Mars!

.

The majority of images I am going to share here today were taken on the 527th Sol day (terrestrial days) on Mars. We are well into the second year of Curiosity’s adventure on the Martian surface. The last I updated this series, Curiosity was headed into the Gale Crater. Today, we find Curiosity in the Gale Crater and navigating to the ‘Dingo Gap’ leading to the foothills of Mount Sharp. In many of the following images you can clearly see the foothills of Mount Sharp in the background. Curiosity is making good progress and during our absence there has been only one interruption in the rover’s progress. That lasted only a couple of days, and Curiosity was back on track and schedule.

.

The following image was taken on Sol day 526 (January 28, 2014) from the Left-Eye camera and the Mast Cam. There is a sand dune in the upper center of the image between two scarps. This area is called the ‘Dingo Gap’. This is the pass Curiosity will navigate to the foothills of Mount Sharp.

.

[caption id="attachment_2264" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Mars Rover Looks For Route via Dingo Gap Mars Rover Looks For Route via Dingo Gap[/caption]

(The ‘Dingo Gap’)


.

Our next image, My Dear Readers, is a close-up of one of the erosion scarps to each side of the ‘Dingo Gap’. I picked this picture because, in the background, you can begin to see, clearly, the foothills of Mount Sharp. You see, that is our eventual destination for Curiosity for this leg of its journey. Mount Sharp, and the surrounding foothills, will give scientists their best shot at seeing the largest amount of geological history in one place.

.

[caption id="attachment_2263" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Erosion by Scarp Retreat in Gale Crater Erosion by Scarp Retreat in Gale Crater[/caption]

(Erosion Scarp at Dingo Gap)


.

Our next Martian image shows the geologic members of the ‘Yellowknife Bay Formation’. Curiosity drilled into the low-lying members of this geological formation. This time I have chosen to use an annotated version of the iomage. This shows all the geologic features outlined and i9ndicates exactly where Curiosity drilled.

.

[caption id="attachment_2257" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Yellowknife Formation Annotated Yellowknife Formation Annotated[/caption]

(Yellowknife Formation Annotated)


.

Our little rover, Curiosity, has traveled very far, since we watched it land all those months ago. On several occasions, in the past, I have shown images of the tracks behind Curiosity. While those images are great for seeing recent progress by Curiosity, only a view from space can give us the whole picture. The image below is just that, and view of Curiosity’s progress via track marks in the Martian soil. Look closely, and you can see the great journey Curiosity has made in 527 days.

.

[caption id="attachment_2260" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Curiosity Rover Tracks, Viewed from Orbit in December 2013 Curiosity Rover Tracks, Viewed from Orbit in December 2013[/caption]

(Rover Curiosity Tracks in the Martian Soil)


.

Our final image of the day is a close-up of a rock. Yeah, I know but this rock holds a little secret. This image was taken by the ChemCam on the mast arm of Curiosity, and done with a precision laser.

.

[caption id="attachment_2259" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Crystals in Martian Rock Gale Crater Crystals in Martian Rock Gale Crater[/caption]

(Crystal formations in Rock from Gale Crater)


.

Well, MY Dear Readers, that brings us to the end of this edition of The Mars Report. I am happy to be back and bring you images from our celestial brother planet, Mars. I hope that you have enjoyed the images I have shared, and maybe that you learned a little more about Mars.

.

I would like to make you all, My Dear Readers, a promise to keep publishing this series on a regular basis. I can promise to do my level best to do just that, however, between my growing hunger and pain in my left hand and neck… I will do my level best. I enjoy creating and sharing many different types of content for you, My Dear Readers. Although, it has never been about just what I enjoy… doing. It all, really, boils down to what one person can get done in one day… in my current condition. My medical condition will never improve. At least not with my limited resources. My resolve has never been better, my desire never stronger. I… just… at times… need a little help.

.

Below you will see an image of me, in my wheelchair. Below that is a link to The Other Shoe eBay Store. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am left in a position where I must work hard to try and improve my financial situation. I could start an Indiegogo Campaign. I am not to that point, yet. I fear that I would not garner much financial support… at this time. Let me know if I am wrong!

.

I would rather garner support by selling personal items and hoping for the best. Having said, please look at the items I have for sale. If, however, you do not see anything that you would like to own? IF you still would like to help me out? There is always contributions via PayPal. I am listed as Daniel Hanning with the email of Enzomatrix@earthlink.net. Any contribution will be greatly appreciated and used for food and rent. I sincerely apologize for this intrusion… and for asking for your support. In all of the 350+ articles I have written… I try very hard to not engage in asking for assistance.

.

As always I am deeply honored that you come here and read my work.

.

Thank YOU! .

[caption id="attachment_1812" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Just a shot of a VERY thankful Danny in His Power Chair Just a shot of a VERY thankful Danny in His Power Chair[/caption]

.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="234"]The Other Shoe eBay Store The Other Shoe eBay Store[/caption]

.

.

1 comment:

  1. […] The Mars Report – January 30, 2014 : “The majority of images I am going to share here today were taken on the 527th Sol day […]

    ReplyDelete