Friday, June 6, 2014

The Mars Report - June 6th, 2014

.




[caption id="attachment_2966" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Impact Scar Detected-in Mars Weathercam Image Impact Scar Detected-in Mars Weathercam Image[/caption]

.

 Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. I apologize for the delay in the publication of this edition of ‘The Mars Report’. I have, yet, to write about it but my health is giving my fits and starts. For three days, this week, I had golf balls under my armpits, and fevers that would come and go within a day. I desperately need to get to my doctors, but I am unable to do so by myself. Anywho, I am here now and I have a pretty incredible edition of ‘The Mars Report” for everyone to read and enjoy.

.

Just a little promotion, before we get started, of yesterday’s article here at The Other Shoe. Yesterday, and just below this article I published the Tenth edition of ‘The Horror in Smithville’ (click that link to go directly to the story). Yesterday’s episode saw a turn in the luck of our two hero’s, Timmy and Archer, and the introduction of an all new character – Mr. Champion. I would get into any spoilers, but Mr. Champion… is… well, special. And not to tip my hand too much, but you might be seeing a lot of Mr. Champion in upcoming episodes. If you haven’t, already, be sure to drop by and give it a read. Later today I will be publishing another review of all the parts (episodes) so far. So, if you have never taken the time to read this tale of adventure and horror? You will be able to go to one place to get caught up on the adventures of Timmy and Archer… and ‘The Tall Man, too.

.

Today we visit the Martian surface not for any accomplishment of our sojourning rover, Curiosity. No, today we are going to see images from Mars of the “Best Ever Pinning Down of When a Space Rock Hits Mars.” It really is an incredible event, from a scientific point of view, and helps me to bring to focus just how in touch for the events on Mars America is. This is a ‘Good Thing’ for America and for the furtherance of our people and our species. As I relayed in the earlier edition of ‘The Mars Report’ right here on Wednesday of this week, America needs to focus on exploration and colonization of Mars.

.

This is not just my opinion, but the opinion of the National Research Council, too. As stated in their report[1] to NASA and Congress (‘Pathways to Exploration: Rationales and Approaches for a U.S. Program of Human Space Exploration’), the need for timely exploration and eventual colonization of Mars is of the up most importance to scientific development and the continuation of our species. This goal was firmly in mind when NASA planned (and launched) the ‘Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’[2] projectand the largest rover ever to land on another planet, ‘Mars Science Laboratory - Curiosity’ project[3]. It is no coincidence that, for the first time in the history of man, we have a rover on the Martian surface at the same time we have a scientific laboratory in Martian orbit.

.

As well, for the purposes of this article this combination of scientific platforms has allowed us to make the single timeliest observation of a galactic body crash to the Martian surface. My Dear Readers, this is (really) a major scientific achievement. An achievement that should have been heralded from every rooftop, by every media outlet and held up as the accomplishment that it truly is. You see, this is what is possible… this is our potential as a nation, a people, a species. I am happy, and honored, to share this achievement here on my blog.

.

At the top of this page you will see one of the very first images that altered NASA of the strike. The image was taken by Mars Color Imager (MARCI) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter[4] on May 9th, 2014. I am bringing these images, and this news, to you just a matter of a couple of weeks later. Honestly, I had all these images ready… last week. If it hadn’t been for the gold balls under my arm pits… and this nagging fever, well I would have broken this news… ,like, an actual news outlet! J

.

[caption id="attachment_2968" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Large, Fresh Crater Surrounded by Smaller Craters Large, Fresh Crater Surrounded by Smaller Craters[/caption]

(Large, Fresh Crater Surrounded by Smaller Craters)


.

Now, the image above of the largest impact crater associated with the March 20th, 2012. The crater is 159 feet wide and is surrounded by several other smaller craters. Further… well here is the statement directly from the NASA/JPL web site;

.

“It is the biggest fresh impact crater anywhere -- not just on Mars -- ever clearly confirmed by before-and-after images.”[5]

.

The exploding asteroid rained debris at the time of impact, resulting in the creation of the surrounding smaller craters. This image was taken by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

.

[caption id="attachment_2964" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Best-Ever Pinning Down When a Space Rock Hit Mars Best-Ever Pinning Down When a Space Rock Hit Mars[/caption]


(Best-Ever Pinning Down When a Space Rock Hit Mars)


.

Like I wrote, earlier in this article, with the images I am sharing here today. NASA/JPL managed to develop the ‘Best pinning down of when a space rock hit Mars” in the history of our observation and exploration of Mars. Now, remember, that NASA/JPL made this accomplishment in spite of what the National Research Council called “an anemic budget”. Just image what scientific accomplishments and exploration American scientists could do with adequate funding!

.

[caption id="attachment_2965" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Fresh Mars Crater Confirmed Within Impact Scar Fresh Mars Crater Confirmed Within Impact Scar[/caption]

(Fresh Mars Crater Confirmed Within Impact Scar)


.


The image above is not quite as clear to the naked eye. I had to download this Image and blow it up with my own programs to clearly see the crater. Yet, if you take a moment and really focus on this image, you can make out the outline of the impact crater, in the middle of this image. I include this image because it was in the series that NASA/JPL presented on the web site. I feel strongly that I should do my best to share all the image, all the evidence when I relay discoveries and scientific accomplishments to you, My Dear Readers.

.

[caption id="attachment_2963" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Before-and-After Views Confirm Fresh Craters Before-and-After Views Confirm Fresh Craters[/caption]

(Before-and-After Views Confirm Fresh Craters)


.


The images above were taken by the Context Camera (CTX) aboard the NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The image on the left was taken on January 6, 2012 and the image on the right was taken (by the same camera) on April 6th, 2014. Remember, that these images are being taken from miles above the Martian surface. I think that these black and white images are a lot better, as far as being able to clearly see the impact carter, than the color comparison images above.

.

[caption id="attachment_2967" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Landslides Near Fresh Crater on Mars Landslides Near Fresh Crater on Mars[/caption]

(Landslides Near Fresh Crater on Mars)


.

Which bring us to the image above, the last image for this edition of ‘The Mars Report’. This image was taken by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter on April 6th, 2014. The impact of the exploding asteroid appears to have caused landslides in the area of impact. Again, this is great science that NASA/JPL are involved in, here on the Martian surface, millions of miles away from Earth. The presence of the rover Curiosity and the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter have given American scientists a unique opportunity to make scientific discoveries in a timely fashion. What would, from earth observations only, would take decades of observations and imaging is, right now with our dual presence, taken only a matter of twenty to twenty-two months!

.

My Dear Readers, I am not so sure that I adequately conveyed the importance of this discovery. Conveyed how much of advancement, to previous means and methods, this discovery has made. Worry not, I have months and months more of this mission to cover, and tons more scientific discoveries and observations. I am sure, that in time, everyone will understand the importance of the dual scientific and exploratory tools. The opportunity that NASA/JPL has brought to not only American scientists and astrophysicists, but to the whole of mankind. It really is just a matter of time before mankind looks on Earth as our starting place… our crib. Only a matter of time before mankind sees all of our solar system as its home, and the stars and universe beyond as obtainable.

.

We live in a very special time, My Dear Readers. A time of great discovery and accomplishment. Through my work here at The Other Shoe I hope that I expose all of you, My Dear Readers, to some of these accomplishments and the potential of our aspirations in the stars. Earth is where mankind started out. Earth should not be where our species… ends. We heave it in our spirit to move West… to land on the moon. I have no doubts that if mankind were to set his sights on the farthest star from our own. That in time, we would reach our goal.

.

The only limitation mankind has, is the reach of his imagination.

.

Adieu!

.

Thank YOU!
.

The Other Shoe eBay Store


.


http://www.ebay.com/usr/enzomatrixlt


.




[caption id="attachment_2866" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Danny Hanning of The Other Shoe - May 6th, 2014 Danny Hanning of The Other Shoe - May 6th, 2014[/caption]

 









 

1 comment: