Monday, May 5, 2014

Lost In Space - May 6th, 2014

.




[caption id="attachment_2855" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Horsehead Nebula Infrared View Horsehead Nebula Infrared View[/caption]

.

Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. An amazing fact came to my attention, just today. You see… I have been In LOVE with; Space, Space Flight, Space Exploration, Space Images, Star Gazing, Star Maps… you get the idea, since I was like an aware human being. Like most star-nuts I have a favorite constellation. The amazing fact is that in all the editions of ‘Lost in Space’ I have not once featured my favorite constellation. Therefore, the image you see above addresses this shortcoming!

.


Yes, I just love the ‘Horsehead Nebula’ and always have, like since before I could write an article to express my deep love. J Yes… I am a little punchy today, thanks for asking! I am working double-time, today, working to get ahead of my publication schedule so that, having to spend twelve hours in various mass transit vans, will not negatively effect my blog(s) traffic. Get it done today, it publishes tomorrow… all is good! Better than that, I have a total of eight images for your viewing pleasure, today.


.


Next, yesterday was ‘Cinco De Mayo’ (the Fifth of May… Yeah, really creative) and to celebrate, or rather to mark, this day of celebration our next image is ‘The Majestic Sombrero Galaxy’[1] (aka M104). The Sombrero Galaxy, or Messier Object 104 is an unbarred spiral galaxy that resides in the constellation Virgo. It is nearly 28 million light years from Earth = 8.6 megaparsecs and is the single brightest galaxy within 10 megaparsecs. The central bulge is actually a huge Black Hole surrounded by debris and galactic dust.


.




[caption id="attachment_2862" align="aligncenter" width="630"]The 'Majestic Sombrero' Galaxy The 'Majestic Sombrero' Galaxy[/caption]

(The 'Majestic Sombrero' Galaxy (M104))


.


One of the first things I learned when I began learning about the stars and space, was that Alpha Centari. Our next image is of a great Globular Cluster in Omega Centari. This image was taken by the Wide Filed Camera 3 aboard the Hubble Space Telescope in May of 2009. This single image shows more than 100,000 stars and stellar bodies. Realize, My Dear Readers, that when you gaze at this picture you are looking back in time… millions and millions of years back in time. It really makes me stop and think… every time!


.




[caption id="attachment_2863" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Colorful Stars Galore Inside Globular Star Cluster Omega Centauri Colorful Stars Galore Inside Globular Star Cluster Omega Centauri[/caption]

(Colorful Stars Galore Inside Globular Star Cluster Omega Centauri)


.

I just realized that I am only five images into a eight image article… I think I am going to have to kick this puppy into gear, or I will still be here at dinnertime. I am going to pull things back, a few hundred million miles, and share with you a wonderful image of a close neighbor, Saturn. The image below is a great image of Saturn that was taken in 2003. As a series of images taken in different light wavelengths, this image is of Saturn in ultraviolet light. I just saw it, and just had to include it in today’s edition. Yes, My Dear Readers, I did promise a ‘Galactic Tour’ here at ‘Lost In Space’… and I have every intention to put the tour together and share… before the end of the summer. I promise… Now for Saturn.


.




[caption id="attachment_2860" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Saturn’s Rings in Ultraviolet Light Saturn’s Rings in Ultraviolet Light[/caption]

(Saturn’s Rings in Ultraviolet Light)


.


Now, back to deep space and one of the single most incredible images I have ever seen. This image has been likened to something out of ‘The Lords of the Rings’ or a Dr. Seuss’ book. To me, it is just one more reason why I do so dearly love; space, space flight, space exploration, … … … well, you My Dear Readers understand. Just take a few moments, My Dear Readers, and look at the image below. Let it entertain your eyes, reach into your mind, and stir your soul. Mankind belongs in space. The sooner we own up to that reality…. Fact the sooner all of us get to enjoy sights (like the one below) every day.

.




[caption id="attachment_2857" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Hubble Captures View of 'Mystic Mountain' Hubble Captures View of 'Mystic Mountain'[/caption]

(Hubble Captures View of 'Mystic Mountain')


.


My Dear Readers with our next image I am going to take us all back in time further than ever before. In the image, below, the Hubble Space Telescope used infrared imaging to reveal stars and galaxies far, far away that existed long, long ago. Through the lens of the Near Infrared Camera and Multi-object Spectrometer aboard NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, as a lens that looks back through time. Taking a look back through billions of light years in space, and billions of years in time.THIS My Dear Readers, is why I write… why I write this series, why I write science fiction, why I write.


.




[caption id="attachment_2858" align="aligncenter" width="600"]Hubble Ultra Deep Field Infrared View of Galaxies Billions of Light-Years Away Hubble Ultra Deep Field Infrared View of Galaxies Billions of Light-Years Away[/caption]

(Hubble Ultra Deep Field Infrared View of Galaxies Billions of Light-Years Away)


.


Our next image is of a nebula. However, it is not a stellar nebula… this is of a planetary nebula in the midst of a dying star.Known as MyCn18 it is a planetary nebula that has taken up the shape of an hourglass. Again, My Dear Readers, there is just no limit to the creativity of space. None.


.




[caption id="attachment_2859" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Planetary Nebula MyCn18 An Hourglass Pattern Around a Dying Star Planetary Nebula MyCn18 An Hourglass Pattern Around a Dying Star[/caption]

(Planetary Nebula MyCn18 An Hourglass Pattern Around a Dying Star)


.


Now, for our very last image of the day, I bring you ‘The Cigar Galaxy’[2] (aka M82).Only twelve million light-years from Earth, it is the single brightest galaxy, at five times the luminescence as the Milky Way. I was taken, again, a back by the image… just looking at ti… but I also just love learning about the galaxies and the science. I hope that you, My Dear Readers, do too.

.




[caption id="attachment_2861" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Starburst Galaxy Messier 82 Starburst Galaxy Messier 82[/caption]

(Starburst Galaxy Messier 82)


.


And, with that, My Dear Readers brings us to the end of this edition of ‘Lost In Space’ for May the 6th 2014. While you are reading this article, I am (most likely) riding in a van going to, or coming from, a doctor’s appointment in Rolling Hills Estates. Wish me well… and wish me luck. Every time I make this journey… it worries me… all that time in vans… with nothing to protect me from someone else’s bad driving. One wrong move… one light ran… sometimes, it scares me.


.


Until I see you again, here, Adieu!


.


Thank YOU!
.


Until I see you again, here, Adieu!


.


Thank YOU!
.




[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="234"]The Other Shoe eBay Store The Other Shoe eBay Store[/caption]

http://www.ebay.com/usr/enzomatrixlt


.


The Other Shoe's Daniel Hanning February 2014







3 comments:

  1. […] Lost In Space – May 6th, 2014 : “Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. An amazing fact came to my attention, just today. You see… I have been In LOVE with; Space, Space Flight, Space Exploration, Space Images, Star Gazing, Star Maps… you get the idea, since I was like an aware human being. Like most star-nuts I have a favorite constellation. The amazing fact is that in all the editions of ‘Lost in Space’ I have not once featured my favorite constellation. Therefore, the image you see above addresses this shortcoming!” Truly AMAZING was while you all were reading THIS article I was in transit to and back from Los Angeles! It was a very good visit, and we are working to get to the bottom of my frequent fevers and illness. This edition of ‘Lost in Space’ ended up being a very good edition, in deed. In spite of the terrible frantic pace of the week, I was still managing to mange my workload and some private time… some. In this edition, there are some incredible images from millions to billions of light years away. I hope that everyone takes the time and gives this edition a good look-see. ENJOY! […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] Lost In Space – May 6th, 2014 : “Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. An amazing fact came to my attention, just today. You see… I have been In LOVE with; Space, Space Flight, Space Exploration, Space Images, Star Gazing, Star Maps… you get the idea, since I was like an aware human being. Like most star-nuts I have a favorite constellation. The amazing fact is that in all the editions of ‘Lost in Space’ I have not once featured my favorite constellation. Therefore, the image you see above addresses this shortcoming!” […]

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] Lost In Space – May 6th, 2014 : “Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. An amazing fact came to my attention, just today. You see… I have been In LOVE with; Space, Space Flight, Space Exploration, Space Images, Star Gazing, Star Maps… you get the idea, since I was like an aware human being. Like most star-nuts I have a favorite constellation. The amazing fact is that in all the editions of ‘Lost in Space’ I have not once featured my favorite constellation. Therefore, the image you see above addresses this shortcoming!” […]

    ReplyDelete