Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Plea For Sanity And Compassion

Welcome back, My Dear Readers, to The Other Shoe. I have received some high praise for my recent article ‘The American Civil War of 201_’. I am extremely faltered by this praise, as that it comes from a fellow author with whom I have great respect. I understand that I need work on my grammar. If my life stabilizes I full intend to go back to college and taking courses on creative writing and English. I do not want to offend you, My Dear Readers, with poor grammar or spelling. I use ‘Word’ to write all my articles, but I know that I still make amateur mistakes. I appreciate your understanding and tolerance.

.

Having said, I would like to offer one bit of defense for my writing. Several times in my life of writing I have been told, mostly by women with whom I was intimate, that they can hear my voice when they read my work. I just couldn’t ask for higher praise. I am proud of my voice and the way I express myself. If I can manage to improve my grammar, and still keep the style? I would be a very happy author.

.

I have not written about my caregiver/BFF Mr. Gay today. I have not spoken of my dilemma, either. That does not mean I have not been working, or hurting. Quite the contrary is the case. I am still quite terrified by my impending… situation. However, I have not been idle. Below is the text of a letter I have constructed for; Governor Jerry Brown and The Public Defenders Office of Orange County. What I wouldn’t give for the resources to hire a good attorney for Mr. Gay. What I wouldn’t give to have the financial resources to post bail. I would give my very soul for his release. I feel a deep and heavy guilt for his situation.

.

Everyone’s actions are their own. “Poor judgment should not be rewarded with personal sacrifice.” My father said those very words to me, when I was seventeen years old. My father had a very informed understanding of the world we live in, and an intellect that far outweighed his formal education. I miss my father more than I can say. He could be as hard as nails, as unforgiving as iron, and as loving as any son could hope.

.

I know that one day’s action, by Mr. Gay, now seems to overshadow a decade of caring for my every need. In an effort to correct the record and give Mr. Gay a fighting chance of being released and keep me from homelessness. I have written this letter and will fax it to; Governor Jerry Brown of California and The Public Defenders Office of Orange County.

.

IF there had been time? I would have started, run and promoted 24/7 an Indiegogo Campaign to raise money for his bail and a very good attorney. Quite honestly, if it were not for Mr. Gay… I would have died in my bed… this year. I owe Mr. Gay my life.

.

.

Dear Governor Jerry Brown,

My name is Daniel Hanning and I live in Cypress, California. I am a disabled American with a huge problem that I pray your office will assist me. I have a caregiver, and best friend and significant other of twenty-five years. For the past eight years he has been my sole caregiver. IF I ate, it was because Glen Allen Gay feed me. If I bathed, it was because Glen Allen Gay bathed me. If I shopped or enjoyed fresh air or went to a doctor appointment, it was because Mr. Glen Allen Gay got me there safely.

.

On Friday September 13th, 2013 Mr. Gay was walking to the local Unemployment office. He had not received his check when it was scheduled, not for more than seven days late. Just a week before someone on our property stole his one and only means of transportation, his bicycle. It was very hot. Mr. Gay was very tired and under tremendous stresses.

.

For the past eight years Mr. Gay gets up at 5 or 6AM to feed me and get me my morning medications. After that, we would go out and try to find a full time job. At 47 in this market Mr. Gay has worked tirelessly to find that illusive full time job. Upon getting home, at noon, he would get me fed lunch and bathed if it was my day to have a bath.

.

Next, my afternoon medications. Then Mr. Gay would go to his part-time job. Upon getting home for his job he would prepare dinner for me, get my evening medications and then get me ready for bed. He would stay up with me, if my pain was bad as it has been for the past two years. I suffered with severe Degenerative Disc disease, spinal stenosis, limited use of my left hand, left foot drop, and severe intractable pain. Mr. Gay worked tirelessly to make my life livable.

.

On July 29th, 2013 Mr. Gay and myself received a Sixty Day Notice to vacate our affordable residence of the past ten years. On top of caring for me. On top of looking for work and having dozens of employers pass him over for a younger person. On top of my condition getting worse, so bad that I stop breathing in the middle of the night and being unable to swallow often. On top of having his only means of transportation stolen (the new owner of the building told one of the evicted residents “take any bike you want off the property I want all of them off of my property. The same property owner that has refused to get permits from the City of Cypress for his work on this property)

.

On top of all of that Mr. Gay spent FIVE DAYS on the phone trying to get through to Unemployment. I was on my cell phone, he was on his cell phone and I was using the building phone. Three phones for five days and we never once got through to the unemployment offices. Mr. Gay and I needed his check so that we could afford to comply with the 60 day notice and move.

.

Without Mr. Gay, Dear Sir, I am completely lost. I will end up in a continuing care facility, costing the state thousands a week more than my disease costs now. That, or I will Fall between the cracks and end up homeless on the streets of Orange County, California.

.

Mr. Gay broke under the pressure. At 47 years of age Mr. Gay broke the law. Instead of continuing to walk, in the heat for miles to get a check. Mr. Gay broke with what is right and made a huge error in judgment and broke the law.

.

Please understand that I am not condoning Mr. Gay’s actions I am putting his actions into context. If anyone is to blame, it is me. I ask so much of him every day. His job refuses full time hours. HE works for Olive Garden and I am sure you are aware the owner of this company is making a political point (he hates President Obama and ‘Obamacare’ aka ‘The Affordable Care Act’) and refuses all hourly employees livable wage jobs by keeping hours to less than twenty a week. I am sure that if this lowly blog write (I write The Other Shoe) knows about the antics of the CEO of Darden Foods, you do, too.

.

Mr. Gay has worked hard and played by the rules the majority of his life. He takes care of me, free of charge to the County of Orange and the State of California. Mr. Gay is set to be arraigned Tuesday September 17th, 2013. Mr. Glen Allen Gay (age 47) Men’s Central Orange County Booking # 2785848. If he is released on his own recognizance with community service? He can return and continue to help me life and move.

.

However, if Mr. Gay is sentenced I will need full time care, paid for by the County of Orange and the State of California. Mr. Gay did not sell anything or damage anyone else’s property. He did not cause another human any pain of suffering. However, if he is held it will cause me grave pain and suffering. If I end up homeless, I will likely die due to my condition. I will slip and fall and I will expire. I cannot walk more than a few steps. I cannot bathe myself or prepare my own meals. I do not want to become a burden to the county or the state or end up homeless and dead.

.

Please can you help me help Mr. Gay? I am fearful for my life. Please, reach out and change the course of our futures and protect my health and life?

.

You can reach me at [removed for privacy concerns] Please, just one phone call can alter the course of our futures. Give Mr. Gay a second chance at helping me and bring hope to my life. Please contact me if you need further information of proof of my cervical degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis.

.

Thank you for your time and efforts in this matter,

Respectfully,

Daniel L. Hanning

.

As always, it is an honor that you come here and read my work My Dear Readers. I sincerely thank you for your kindness and support.

.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment