Monday, September 16, 2013

A Small Personal Victory For Daniel

Welcome back, My Dear Readers, to The Other Shoe. Victories just have not been a part of my life, as of late. However, today I am celebrating a major personal victory. A victory that will save lives! On August 5th, 2013 I wrote a little article called ‘Today? DANNY SAVED LIVES!’. This article was quite popular, as it received thirty-one ‘Likes’ and drove a considerable amount of traffic that week. This article explained how I witnessed construction workers on the property, that day, trying to repair the pool and Jacuzzi whose damage was far too extensive to just be repaired.

.

I had a little feedback… not entirely supportive. They claimed I was just nitpicking because I was being asked to move and that, likely, the pool would just be repaired at another time. [Is this gloating? I never seem to get the chance… so this is unfamiliar territory] Today, I and my assertions, were proven correct. Below is a video of the beginning of the demolition of said pool and Jacuzzi.

.

Upon seeing the crew out there, tearing apart the pool and Jacuzzi, I called the City of Cypress Code Enforcement and confirmed. The new owners have properly obtained permits for the demolition of both the pool and Jacuzzi. They explained that they had yet to receive the plans for the construction of the new pool and Jacuzzi. Then a funny thing happened. The gentleman from the City of Cypress Code Enforcement THANKED ME!

.

He recognized my name, and voice, and said that they were now keeping a close eye on this property and that the new owners are now cooperating with the city. [Believe it or not] I was speechless. I thanked the city employee and hung up the phone.

.

Allen (my caregiver and BFF for the past twenty-five years) often calls me ‘The Last Boy Scout’. Today, he was correct. I was correct. A pool, and Jacuzzi, with extensive damage. Damage that broke the foundation, in several places, and broke rebar (in several places) simply cannot be repaired. To merely repair a pool with that level of damage places the lives of those who swim and play, in said pool, in grave jeopardy.

.

Yes, my actions, will cost this new owner more money… and time but it will guarantee the safety of all those that come here and swim and play. I feel good!

.

I have yet to find out the fate of Mr. Gay… and that leaves me quite scared and, at times, terrified… but, for a moment today, I am proud of myself and my actions. Below is a short video of the crew beginning the demolition.

.

 [youtube=http://youtu.be/f4Ao8kxF7f0]


.

As always it is an honor to have you, My Dear Readers, come here and read my work.

.

Thank YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment