Monday, October 13, 2014

The Mars Report - October 13th, 2014

[caption id="attachment_3731" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Nature's Drilling Exposes Deeply Buried Minerals Nature's Drilling Exposes Deeply Buried Minerals[/caption]

.

           Welcome back My Dear Readers to The Other Shoe. First, to all of you My Dear Readers I’m BACK! After a very nice ten days Hiatus I am back to write and publish right here at The Other Shoe. Today I have a special ‘The Mars Report’ for you viewing pleasure. If you are a regular reader you will remember me mentioning so “incredible” images I found just roaming around the JPL/NASA web site. Today I am going to; finally, share those images I mentioned so many weeks ago.

.

Just a little personal note; I see that My Dear Readers in Houston and Pearland Texas are being deluged with; rain, hail and storms. I wanted y’all to know that I am thinking of you all. Please drive carefully in this heavy rain and weather. Stay safe and put safety ahead of being rushed or ‘getting their early’… k?

.

Now, back to this week’s edition of ‘The Mars Report’ right here at The Other Shoe. To everyone viewing this article at blog dot com? I would like to apologize for any problems you may have; reading, viewing images, and loading pages. It seems that there are, again, some problems with this location and I have notified the web master of these difficulties. This week’s edition is one several weeks in the making. I have gathered some incredible images from all over Mars. Our first image…well, is a visit to an old friend, Opportunity, on the Martian surface.

.

Taken by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter this image shows rover Opportunity in the very edge of ‘Santa Maria’ crater. If you look, very closely, at the four o’clock position in the image? You can clearly see Opportunity parked on the crest of this huge crater. There to evaluate crater excavation that occurred during the impact and how the crater edge has been modified by weathering and erosion. This 295 foot diameter crater just dwarfs our little Opportunity rover.

.

(Image thanks to JPL/NASA Web Site[1])




[caption id="attachment_3733" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Opportunity at ‘Santa Maria’ Crater Opportunity at ‘Santa Maria’ Crater[/caption]

(Opportunity at ‘Santa Maria’ Crater)


.

My Dear Readers this is the image that really caught my eye, many weeks ago, and lead to the incredible images that follow in this edition of ‘The Mars Report’. Many of my American readers, all too often, forget the greatness government does. All too eager to knock government and everything related, they forget that if not for government man would have never set foot on the Moon… and you, My Dear Readers, would have never seen the image above.

.

Now, My Dear Readers, you can get a feel for the type of edition, of ‘The Mars Report’, this edition is going to be. If you think of a National Geographic for Mars? This is what it would look like. J You see, I really do work hard to bring you, My Dear Readers, great images, science, and information all right here at The Other Shoe!

.

Four our next incredible image I give you is from Newton Crater. This image was taken from the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. However, it has been enhanced with 3D modeling. Reprojected to give us a bird’s eye view as it might appear riding in a helicopter. A breathtaking view of the edge of Newton crater and the warm season flows. Each of the flows are relatively narrow, just 1 to 1.5 years in width. This image was taken during the Martian summer months.

.

(Image thanks to JPL/NASA Web Site[2])




[caption id="attachment_3732" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Oblique View of Warm Season Flows in Newton Crater Oblique View of Warm Season Flows in Newton Crater[/caption]

(Oblique View of Warm Season Flows in Newton Crater)


.

Like I said… if National Geographic had published a Martian Edition, THIS is what it would look like. Now for our next image shows true and genuine gullies on the Martian surface. Taken by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter this image shows us unprecedented detail of the Martian surface. The gullies show in this image range in size from three feet to thirty-three feet in width. The image was taken from the carp in the Hellas impact basin.

.

(Image thanks to JPL/NASA Web Site[3])


(True Gullies on the Martian Surface)


.

And, as always, My Dear Readers I have saved the very best image of the day for last. Now, gain, if you are a regular readers here at The Other Shoe you will recognize our next image. This is another truly unique image made with combining technologies available on the rover Opportunity and the Mars Science Orbiter. This is an image of a volcanic cone in the Nili Patera caldera region of Mars. I just cannot get over the level of detail, and the reprojected perspective that JPL/NASA have brought to this image. Just incredible!

.

(Image thanks to JPL/NASA Web Site[4])




[caption id="attachment_3730" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Mars Volcanic Cone with Hydrothermal Deposits Mars Volcanic Cone with Hydrothermal Deposits[/caption]

(Mars Volcanic Cone with Hydrothermal Deposits)


.

That brings us to the end of this week’s edition of ‘The Mars Report’. I know that this edition is a little short, today. I hope that you understand that it is going to take me some time to get back up to the level of work I previously shared. As well, I have some really incredible GIF images that I want to share, but I am having some difficulty getting them uploaded and displayed at one of the blog locations.

.

I hope that all of you, My Dear Readers, have enjoyed these incredible images I have brought here today. I hope to bring you an all new edition of ‘Lost in Space’ later this week. I am not too sure that I will be publishing tomorrow, Tuesday, but I will be back here just as soon as physically possible. As always, thank you for dropping by and you do me great honor by ‘Liking’ and haring’ my work and my blog.

.

Adieu!

.

Thank you!

.

[caption id="attachment_3338" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Danny in Rolling Hills Estates August 12, 2014 Danny in Rolling Hills Estates August 12, 2014[/caption]

.

© 2010 – 2014 Hanning Web Wurx and The Other Shoe



No comments:

Post a Comment