Monday, July 20, 2015

46 Years Ago Apollo 11 Landed on the Moon!

Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Coillins

Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Coillins .
.
"Static crackled and hissed as NASA astronaut Neil Armstrong took the historic first step on the surface of the moon and uttered the now unforgettable phrase, “one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” Back home on Earth, approximately 530 million people watched the moment play out on their television screens.The lunar landing marked a pinnacle of NASA’s Apollo 11 mission and now, 46 years later, it remains a major milestone in American history. The space flight — manned by Armstrong, as well as Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin and Michael Collins — had been given a mission by President John F. Kennedy three years prior: Land a crew on the moon and return to Earth.Aldrin and Armstrong planted the American flag on the dusty gray surface, though it was blown over when their spacecraft took off, according to NASA.In addition to footprints in the gray lunar dust, the crew left five commemorative medallions inscribed with the names of three Apollo 1 astronauts who died in a launch pad fire and two who died in accidents. There was also a special message from humans: They also left a small silicon disk with goodwill messages from 73 countries and the names of those who’d contributed to the mission’s success.See the remarkable photos from that memorable mission below."
Source: 46 years ago, Armstrong took 'one small step for man' | MSNBC .
.
            Welcome back My Dear Shoevians to The Other ShoeToday is a historic day, for all Americans, for this is the day that (forty-six years ago) Edward 'Buzz' Aldrin, and Neil Armstrong landed in the surface of the Moon. Fellow astronaut, Michael Collins, remained in the Command Module as these two intrepid astronauts achieved, for mankind, what no other people or nation had. The top image is of the three headed to the Apollo 11 rocket in Cape Canaveral Florida. It took three short days for the three to make the 238,900 miles (384,400 km) journey from Earth orbit to Lunar orbit.
 .
0th Anniversary of Apollo 11 Moon Mission
30th Anniversary of Apollo 11 Moon Mission   
 .
 I was but a boy of eleven years old, when this mission broke the surly bonds of earth, and that of our imagination(s), and headed further than any; person, nation or civilization had ever traveled. Those 238,900 miles and three days seemed to just drag on, forever. The Texas heat, and my excitement, seemed to grow with each and every passing day. Each day, my father and I, would watch the news (and the broadcasts from the Command Module) with growing excitement and anticipation. This was a journey made by the three astronauts, but millions of fathers and sons all across America (and the world) made this journey with them.
 .
 Moon Landing From Houston Control Center M
Moon Landing From Houston Control Center 
 .
 Then on July 20th, 1969 at 5:17 PM Texas time, the two astronauts in the Lunar Module touched down on Tranquility Base. My father had arrived home, early, just to watch Neil Armstrong descend the ladder and utter those, no famous, words: "this is one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" and my father and I cheered! America had landed men on the moon, just as President John Kennedy had requested. My father and I stayed up all night watching the coverage, much to the chagrin of my brother Darrell and my Mother. They were missing their regular television shows and did not really share our enthusiasm.
 .
"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"   

.
 For the next 21 1/2 hours I was transfixed to the television. Unable to sleep or take my eyes away, I watched every moment that was broadcast. My father, of course, had to go to work in the morning, but upon arriving home, I gave him the 'blow-by-blow' of the day's lunar broadcast. With these three intrepid space travelers on their way home, my father and I took the the airwaves of Ham Radio to share our American Pride and our experience to any/all that would listen. For it was we, as a NATION, that had truly put mankind on the lunar surface. Oh, America had built; the rocket, the lander, the command module and trained the men... but it really was mankind that had made this journey to the stars.
 .
Astronaut Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin with Moon Lander in background Astronaut Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin with Moon Lander in background  
 .
 Now, for the past 46 years, I have always taken a moment of pause on this day. July 20th will always live as a defining day for America and mankind. We went back, five more times, but Americans were too worried over Vietnam and the disaster of Apollo 13 scared the American people. I sit here, today in 2015, and still wonder why we haven't returned? Why did America's 'thirst for space' come to such a terrible halt? As that young boy? I felt confident that, by now, Americans would be living on the lunar surface. It is heartbreaking, in a way.
 .
Apollo 11 Astronaut Edwin ?Buzz? Aldrin on the Moon, 1969. Apollo 11 Astronaut Edwin Buzz Aldrin on the Moon, 1969
.
 So, My Dear Shoevians, I make it my journey to share with all of you 'The Mars Report' and 'Lost in Space'. I do this for two reasons: . 1) To keep the love of space alive in me. 2) To hopefully share my deep love for all things space exploration so that I might reach someone new.  . Today was to be another edition of 'The Mars Report'. That is until I realized just what day it was today. It is 1:30 PM PDST and I am working my fingers to the bone to get this article published in time. This mission meant the world to me, as a boy. It was not just the space adventure, it was that I took this adventure with my father. From launch to splashdown, me share this adventure, together. He was so very proud to see this mission take place... in his lifetime... right before his eyes. You see, My Dear Shoevians, this was a great time for America, and a great time to be an American.
 .
Astronaut Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr., the lunar module pilot of the first lunar landing mission, stands next to a United States flag July 20, 1969 during an Apollo 11 Extravehicular Activity (EVA) on the surface of the Moon Astronaut Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr., the lunar module pilot of the first lunar landing mission, stands next to a United States flag July 20, 1969 during an Apollo 11 Astronaut Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr., the lunar module pilot of the first lunar landing mission, stands next to a United States flag July 20, 1969 during an Apollo 11 Extravehicular Activity (EVA) on the surface of the Moon
 .
 We shared this journey together as a nation. I cannot think of another time, in my lifetime or the modern age of America, when we couldn't use a unifying event (like this) again. Today, America is just so divided. So.. at each other's throats. We need common journey again. Something to united Americans as a people once more. I hope that it happens. I hope that it happens in my lifetime. We sure do need it.
 .

Astronaut Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr. and Neil Armstrong as they stand next to a United States Flag
  Astronaut Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr. and Neil Armstrong as they stand next to a United States Flag   
.
 Well, My Dear Shoevians, that brings this (today's offering) to a close. This has been a wonderful journey down memory lane and I couldn't think of a better group of people to share it with that you, My Dear Shoevians. Thanks for dropping by... and reading... and enjoying. Remember to  'Like' and 'Share' o that others can have the same experience that you have just enjoyed.
 .
The very FIRST footstep on the Lunar Surface by a man. The very FIRST footstep on the Lunar Surface by a man
 .
 Adieu!
 .
Thank you! 
 .
Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin on the Lunar Surface Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin on the Lunar Surface
 .
Danny Hanning Writer, Editor, Research Staff and Publisher at The Other Shoe Danny Hanning Writer, Editor, Research Staff and Publisher at The Other Shoe
.
© 2010 – 2015 Hanning Web Wurx and The Other Shoe

No comments:

Post a Comment